Monday, October 6, 2008

Task 5: Video Reflection: Annie Leonard - 'The Story of Stuff'

The enormity to which what seems like such a small and straight forward process magnifies into what can be seen as a crisis is outrageous. From Annie Leonard’s video ‘The Story of Stuff’, it can be seen that we need to change the system that is in place at the moment, or else the message is clear – we will not survive. This is why we need to change the situation immediately. Even now, as Leonard points out, communities are dying.

Linear systems such as the one in place at the moment cannot go on for any longer. We just arrive at a dead end when we dispose of our products. Leonard’s reinforcement of the need for an alternative involving recycling and other processes is much needed, like the closed loop production she suggests.

I was shocked predominantly about two things: 1. The statistics of how much resources have been used already, and 2. That the problem we are facing today, our consumerism, was DESIGNED back in the late 50’s! This is astounding. We have designed a way to destroy the world for our own personal gain, our economy.

The underlying message that I take from Annie Leonard is clear, we need to change how we consume goods – fast. There are a variety of ways I can do this, including only buying recycled products, doing my best to stop the demolition of forests and natural environments, as well as the destruction of communities in the ‘third world’.

The current system is a disturbing image of our society, and we need it changed!

After watching and understanding Leonard’s video, I now have the chance to begin and be apart of something new and exciting in design, changing the current system into a new and healthier one.

Understanding the world around me, and not just things that are local to me, is vital for me to grow, and I understand that now, which will aid me in my future designs. Everything in design needs to be research and addressed

For my future projects, I will be wary of how every little thing affects just about the entire world, and I will incorporate sustainable design into my products, researching every material and process, so that there will be no unwanted side effects.

Following the video, I am quite disappointed at how I am following in the footsteps of designers who have helped turn the world into what it is now. Design should not be about money, but should be for the people and what they want and deserve. Through these designs, nothing should be taken, including resources, land and healthy air and water, but everything should be given, such as happiness and pleasure with a product.

No comments: