Thursday, August 14, 2008

Task 3 Video Response: Ross Lovegrove

Design is an art form, one that it is influenced by the world around us and the different human reflections and intakes that we see. The way that an object ‘feels’ and reflects this to a user, recognises the connection that people should feel with their designs.

With a design, you let your surroundings influence the design, not the design influence the surroundings. Organic shape and form become funky. You don’t set out to design ‘funky’.

We, as industrial designers, are the ‘Translators of Technology’, bringing new materials and styles, shapes and forms to the rest of the world.


‘Fat Free’ design is a saying that suggests a lot to me about design, as it demonstrates that objects do not need to have lots of added parts, but only what is needed. It should be organic, and feel natural in its environment, and not clunky, as demonstrated by Ross Lovegrove and his coral inspired chair. The ideas to a design project need to be inspired by my surroundings, and developed then by me. Again, we are the ‘Translators of Technology’, travelling between products, materials and our surroundings.

The touch, soul and emotion of my product towards myself allow me to understand fully how I feel, as it is a representation of what I see around me.


We do not need to put things in a design to make it a certain personal element, such as ‘funky’. It will develop into this itself as long as the design has taken into account its organic state, its reflection on the influences of the designer and the inspiration for what it can become and influence itself.

I now also understand that design is not only ‘design’ as how we saw it last century, but it is now the 21st century art-form.

No comments: